Admissions process: Overview
About the admissions process
- Applications are made through the School of Graduate Studies (SGS), University of Toronto.
- This is done through the SGS online Graduate Admissions Application process.
- The iSchool has one intake in the fall of each year.
- The application fee is $125 CAN.
- Applications for the 2013/2014 academic year are being accepted from October 1, 2012 on.
- Details about the documents required for iSchool applications can be found on the Admissions Documentation page.
- For any admissions-related questions, contact: admissions [dot] ischoolutoronto [dot] ca
The following steps explain the iSchool admissions process.
Step 1: Inform yourself
- Review the requirements under your degree program of interest
- Note that each program has its own application deadline
- Read U of T Writing Centre tips on how to write effective admissions letters.
Step 2: Apply online
- Go to the SGS Graduate Admissions Application page and follow the instructions
- Detailed instructions and an FAQ are available from SGS
The process takes 45-60 minutes to complete and involves:
- Creating your profile
Selecting your program of study
- After creating your profile, you must select your program.
- For the Master of Information program, please indicate your path of study in the 'Proposed Area of Study' section. If you do not yet know which path you wish to pursue, say 'Undecided'
- Receiving your Applicant Number and password
- Uploading your documents. Details about the required documents can be found on the Admissions Documentation page.
- You may leave and return to the application at any time, using your Applicant Number and password
Step 3: Pay the application fee early in the application process
- The $125 CAN fee must be paid early in the process
- The fee is paid through the SGS application process (see Step 2), not through the iSchool
Step 4: Your referees
- Referees must electronically submit their reference letters
- Upon receipt of the application fee, your referees are emailed instructions on how to upload their references
- More information about choosing your referees can be found on the Admissions Documentation page.
Step 5: When your application is complete
- Once your application is complete, it is marked ‘Under Review’
- All your information and documents are transferred from SGS to the iSchool’s admissions system
Step 6 : iSchool Admissions Committee
The committee reviews the applications, looking at:
- Strength and quality of the personal statement, and CV
Once the committee makes a decision, the applicant will receive official notification from the iSchool by both email and regular mail
- Successful applicants are notified right away
- All applicants are notified at the end of the Admissions Cycle, usually in early May
Step 7: Offer of Admission
Successful applicants will receive an offer of admission from the School of Graduate Studies (SGS), including important information on:
- How to accept the offer
- How to pay a tuition deposit, if applicable
- Successful applicants also receive emails from the iSchool. Please inform us of any email changes right away
- All offers are conditional upon meeting academic requirements, and upon receipt of all necessary documentation
Step 8 : Scholarships
Master of Information:
Applicants with strong academics who submit all documentation by February 15 will be considered.
Master of Museum Studies:
Applicants with strong academics who submit all documentation by January 31 will be considered.
Funding for PhD students includes fellowships, scholarships, and research grants.