Information Systems & Design (IS & D) concentration
Information for students who entered the program in September 2012 or before is available here.
Information on this page:
About changes to the MI program as of November 2012
The information on this page incorporates changes that were made to the MI program in November 2012. These changes apply to students who will be entering the MI program from September 2013 onward. Students who entered the program in September 2012 or before: please refer to the program requirements as they existed prior to the November 2012 changes here.
This concentration focuses on the complex interplay between information and communication technologies (ICTs) and information practices, in the context of the needs and nature of various participants in informational activities.
Core themes of stewardship, organization, and accessibility of information artifacts are developed in relation to the design and implementation of digital information systems and media. Particular attention is paid to their personal, social, organizational, and societal implications.
Individuals, communities, and organizations who sponsor or use these systems to create, communicate, collaborate, and record information are, willingly or not, engaged in an ongoing transformation of their information environments.
The aim of the IS & D curriculum is to provide a framework for understanding and managing important aspects of these dynamics, to the benefit of all participants.
- Explore possibilities, constraints, and trade-offs inherent in the design, management, and implementation of digital information systems and media, in the context of complex and often conflicting requirements from diverse stakeholders
Learn how to create and enhance innovative, accessible, and adaptable solutions to problems of information practice, in constantly changing digital environments
Two core quarter courses (0.5 FCE total):
- INF1005H and INF1006H Information Workshops
Five required courses (2.5 FCEs):
- INF1340H Introduction to Information Systems
- INF1341H Systems Analysis and Process Innovation
- INF1342H System Requirements and Architectural Design
- INF1343H Data Modeling and Database Design
- INF2177H Information Management and Systems
Suggested elective courses:
- INF2194Y Information Systems Design Project
- INF2040H Project Management
- INF2164H Authority and Credibility in Online Communities
- INF2169H User-Centred Information System Development
- INF2170H Information Architecture
- INF2173H Information Professional Practicum
- INF2183H Knowledge Management and Systems
- INF2242H Studying Information and Knowledge Practices
- INF2306H Introduction to Service Science
- KMD2001H Human-Centred Design of Knowledge Media
- MHI2001H Health Informatics I