Position Title: Archives Assistant (Maritime Telephone and Telegraph Project)
Organization: Dalhousie University Archives and Special Collections
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Anticipated Start Date: July 9, 2012
Anticipated End Date: March 8, 2013 (1172.5 hours)
Salary: $17.50/hour plus benefits; 35 hours/week
Note: The scope and duration of this project is contingent on receipt of full project funding
Deadline for applications is June 29, 2012
The Dalhousie University Archives and Special Collections (DUASC) is seeking an enthusiastic individual to assist in a major archival description project designed to provide greater intellectual control over and user access to photographs from the Maritime Telephone and Telegraph (MT&T) Collection. The project will include the appraisal and description of approximately 7500 photographs. The successful candidates will report to the Archives Specialist.
The Archives Assistant will gain an on-the-job understanding of archival standards and best practices; the Archivists’ Toolkit archives management system; networked computing environments, and other technologies used in archives. The Archives Assistant will also gain experience working with wide a variety of graphic archival materials. The Archives Assistant will have a unique opportunity to work independently as well as within a structured, team setting. The job will help develop the Archives Assistant’s communication, information management, leadership, and problem-solving skills.
The successful candidates should have the following qualifications:
• Educational background in archival studies or librarianship, with a specialization or previous work experience in archives
• Experience with computer applications (word processing, database, spreadsheet, etc.) and information systems (both personal computer and network)
• Knowledge of current theory and practice relating to recorded information management; archival theory, principles and practice, in particular, archival appraisal and Rules for Archival Description
• Ability to communicate effectively both written and orally
• Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team
• Knowledge of photographic formats and trends in the history of photography
• Must be able to lift, carry, and move boxes weighing up to 50 lbs.
• Knowledge of Atlantic Canadian history a strong asset
Applications should refer to the Position Title and be e-mailed directly to Creighton Barrett, Archives Specialist, Dalhousie University Archives and Special Collections at Creighton [dot] BarrettDal [dot] ca