Reporting to the Head of Collections, and working as a member of the Collections team, this position is responsible for providing a full range of archival services, including collection development and care, contributing to the ongoing development and implementation of relevant policy and procedures in collections management and public service, and participating in specific initiatives relating to collections management software and the digitization of archival records.
• Facilitate archival acquisition and appraisal, arrangement and description.
• Provide archival reference, access and advisory services to internal and external clients
• Strengthen access to archival resources through enhanced control, arrangement and description of archival holdings.
• Ensure archival holdings are managed according to professional standards
• Provide support to digitization initiatives by contributing archival content.
• Support and encourage the use of archival resources for research and other museum programs.
• Use and contribute data to the CMHR collections management software (MINISIS) and, as appropriate, take part in implementing new features and modules.
• Participate in the cross-functional teams and task forces as appropriate.
• Pursue private sector acquisitions that fit the collections mandate of the CMHR.
• Liaise with records management staff to identify corporate records of archival value.
• Supervise archival interns
Requirements for this position are as follows:
Skills and Knowledge – Required
• Master's degree in Archival Studies or Library & Information Science with a major concentration in archives and minimum 3 years’ experience as an archivist, or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Capable of carrying out a wide range of archival activities such as acquisition, arrangement, description, reference services, and outreach projects such as the development of exhibits
• Experience applying the theory and practice of archival science to digital collections
• Experience working with sound and moving image collections
• Knowledge of copyright and intellectual property principles and their application in a museum setting
• Working knowledge of archival descriptive standards (RAD & ISAD-G)
• Strong written and oral communication skills
Skills and Knowledge – Desired
• Practical experience in working with digital materials, including digital preservation and digital collections policy development
• Experience working within a museum and/or art gallery setting
• Experience working with MINISIS collections management software
• Experience working with oral history collections
• Experience providing leadership to junior staff
• Knowledge of basic preservation methods
• Specialization in a subject area that pertains to the mission and mandate of the museum (e.g., a background in political science, public history, human rights, etc.)
• Corporate records management experience
• The ability to work in both official languages
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
• Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
• Ability to manage a large workload with many on-going projects
• Ability to work well under pressure and in accordance with strict deadlines
Working Conditions & Physical Demands
• Work is in an office environment
• May require lifting and reaching in the retrieval and storage of archival materials
•May require long periods at a desk, reading of lengthy documents, and time in front of a computer.
Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest and a current resume through the museum’s Career page at www.museumforhumanrights.ca. The closing date is July 30, 2012.
The CMHR may consider federal government employees for secondment opportunities.
The CMHR encourages diversity in all aspects of its operations. If you are a person with a disability and require accommodation in order to successfully submit an application, please contact us at infomuseumforhumanrights [dot] ca to make your accommodation request.
All applicants will receive a confirmation of the receipt of their application. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted