Reporting to the Department Supervisor, the successful candidate will be responsible for ongoing public service in the Information Services and / or Children’s Youth and Readers’ Services departments at Belleville Public Library and John M. Parrott Art Gallery. The Librarian I will provide excellent customer service and work as part of a team of dedicated Library professionals. The Librarian I will take on a leadership role in the planning and implementation of programs including group tours and author visits and will contribute to the training of other staff. The Librarian I will further the goals of the Library in such areas as outreach, genealogy, digitization, and electronic resources. The Librarian I will assist in selection, weeding and other collection development work for adults. The ideal candidate will have a solid background in Library service with a consistent focus on customer centered service. This position will be included in the bargaining unit.
• MLS/MLIS from an ALA accredited University or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• A minimum of 2 years experience in a library setting, with a focus on public service.
• Demonstrated experience working in the identified target service areas.
• Demonstrated ability to develop Library collections in print, audio-visual and electronic media including work on selection and weeding projects.
• Experience with Library programs, outreach and community partnerships.
• Good understanding of Library technology and experience working with an ILS
• Good understanding of emerging trends, new technologies and advancements in information services.
• Excellent communication skills and organizational ability.
• Retrieves information for customers and performs reference and reader’s advisory services
• Provides library materials to the public and processes hold requests and inter-library loans when needed
• Plans and conducts library programs and activities, including tours of the Library and author visits, as required
• Handles client complaints and provides customer service in accordance with the policies and procedures of Belleville Public Library and John M. Parrott Art Gallery
• Maintains appropriate records and statistics
• Participates in and contributes to the training of other staff in service area
• Participates in and assists in planning community outreach and partnership programs
• Participates in the planning and preparation of library publicity
• Develops Library collections, selects materials, and performs weeding, as required
• Works on Library Digitization projects and other special initiatives
• Contributes to grant applications in appropriate areas such as author visits and technology upgrades
• Acts as person in charge of Library if needed
• Supervises the operation of the service area, in the absence of the supervisor
• Relieves in other service areas as required
• Opens the building and / or performs security check and lock up procedures as required
• Performs other duties as assigned
This is a permanent part-time position effective immediately.
Salary will be $22.65 hourly (Probation rate $21.90)
Please forward application to:
Joanne Alyea, Administrative Assistant
Belleville Public Library and John M. Parrott Art Gallery
254 Pinnacle Street, Belleville ON K8N 3B1
jalyeabellevillelibrary [dot] com