The Kitchener Public Library is a community focused destination for all members of the public, enriching lives through the joy of reading and continuous learning. Our people, services, programs and resources have a positive impact on people’s lives. We value excellence in customer service, teamwork, innovation, integrity and managing our resources effectively and responsibly.
We are offering a part-time opportunity for a Professional Librarian who is willing to commit to the excellence we value. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to provide a high calibre of reference service to the public, act as a liaison with the community and participate in the development and assessment of collections.
• Provides a high calibre of reference and readers’ advisory service to the public and provides Circulation Services to the public as required. Practices pro-active reference in accordance with established standards.
• Participates in developing and assessing collections (print and electronic).
• Acts as a resource for new and emerging information tools.
• Acts as a liaison with the community, including user education programs and provides training in information retrieval for staff and the public.
• Performs PIC (Person-In-Charge) responsibilities as required and in this capacity ensures the smooth operation of the Community Library.
• Assumes supervisory responsibilities as required.
• Chairs or serves on library committees, task groups and Strategic Plan projects as required.
• Administers and participates in the development, implementation and monitoring of safe work practices and procedures in support of KPL’s Safety and Health Policy. Ensures staff receives relevant training on health and safety issues. Communicates with staff and Joint Health and Safety Committee on health, safety and wellness related issues.
• Follows safe work practices and procedures in support of KPL’s Safety and Health Policy.
* M.L.S., M.L.I.S., or M.I.S. is required
* Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills
* Demonstrated strong organizational skills
* Demonstrated ability to work as a team member in an automated environment
* Proven aptitude for developing and maintaining collections and an interest in electronic resources are essential
* Reference experience essential
* Strong commitment to excellent customer service and organizational goals
Hourly rate is $27.66 – approximately 10 hours per week
No telephone calls please.
We thank all applicants in advance and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applications already on file will be considered. Personal information on your resume is collected under the authority of the Public Libraries Act, R.S.O. 1990 and will be used to determine eligibility for employment. Questions about the collection of personal information should be directed to the Human Resources Department.
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity, please forward a cover letter and résumé to:
Coordinator, Human Resources
Kitchener Public Library
85 Queen Street North
Kitchener ON N2H 2H1
Email: hrkpl [dot] org
Please quote Part-time Librarian, Forest Heights in the subject line