Room: BL 325E
PhD (2005) Visual and Cultural Studies, University of Rochester. Dissertation: Animal Traces: Early North American Animal Photography. Co-supervisors: Lisa Cartwright and Paul Duro. MA (2002) Visual and Cultural Studies, University of Rochester. MA (2000) Methodologies for the Study of Western History and Culture, Trent University. Thesis: Signature Style: Art, Authenticity, Authorship. BA (1994) Fine Arts, University of Guelph.
Programs Committee: Chair, MMSt program
Honours & Awards
2005 Humane Society of the United States Outstanding New Course Award for Envisioning Animals: Animals and Visual Culture
- Visual culture
- Exhibition practice and history
- Animal studies
- 2010 Developing Animals: Wildlife and Early American Photography, University of Minnesota Press.
Books in Progress
- Butterfly, Reaktion Books, part of the Animal Series, under contract, completion date September 1, 2009.
- 2008 Thy Phu and Matthew Brower, Guest Editors, Special Issue of History of Photography, 32.2.
- 2009 Figure, Form and Ground, University of Toronto Art Centre, January 15-March 14.
- 2009 The Malcove Vision, UTAC, January 15-March 14.
- 2009 Nothing is Missing, Video Installation by Mieke Bal, March 13-28.
- 2009 “A Rupture in the Field of Representation: Animals, Photography and Affect,” Photography and Culture, vol. 2, no. 3 (2009), 317-325.
- 2008 “George Shiras and the Circulation of Wildlife Photography,” History of Photography, 32.2 (Summer), 169-175.
- 2005 “‘Take Only Photographs’: Animal Photography’s Production of Nature Love,” Invisible Culture, 9, (2005). Reprinted in Antennae: the Journal of Nature in Visual Culture, 5.2 (July).
- 2005 “Trophy Shots: Early North American Non-Human Animal Photography and the Display of Masculine Prowess,” Society and Animals, 13.1, 13-32.
- 1998 “Robert Bateman’s Natural Worlds,” Journal of Canadian Studies, 33.2, 66-77.
- 1996 “Framed by History,” Journal of Canadian Studies, 31.2, 178-183.
Non-refereed Articles, Catalogue Essays, and Interviews
- 2009 “Against Indifference: Suzanne Nacha at Open Studio,” Catalogue Essay, Open Studio.
- 2008 Interview, Rob MacInnis Snapshot, television series on contemporary Canadian Photography, producer Bob Barrett, BRAVO!, original broadcast date fall 2008.
- 2008 Thy Phu and Matthew Brower, “Editorial,” History of Photography, Special Issue on the Circulation of Photographs, 32.2, 105-9.
- 2008 “Michel Daigneault, The Other Side of Abstraction,” Catalogue Essay, Open Studio.
- 2007 “Seeing the Animals at the Zoo,” Catalogue Essay, Interaccess, online at: http://interaccess.org/exhibitions/zoo-web-mb.pdf
- 2007 “Monica Tap: Séance,” Catalogue Essay, Kitchener-Waterloo Art Gallery.
- 2006 “Animal Studies and Film: an Interview with Matthew Brower,” Devin Delliquanti, Modern Mask, 1.1.
- 2006 “Louis Kaplan, American Exposures and Martha Langford, Image and Imagination,” Revue des Arts Canadien/Canadian Art Review, 41.1-2, 103-5.
- 2006 “Charlotte Sleigh, Ant,” Anthrozoos, 19.2, 172-5. 2003 “Jonathan Burt, Animals in Film,” Society and Animals, 11.3, 299-301.
Affiliations & Collaboration
Editorial Board, Antennae: The Journal of Nature in Visual Culture College Art Association Universities Art Association Canada Toronto Photography Seminar Centre for the Study of the United States
Year joined the iSchool
- OUR iSCHOOL
- STUDIES & CAREERS
- Contact Us
- Getting Here
- Faculty Directory
- Matthew Brower
- Joel Alleyne
- Pearce Carefoote
- M. Christine Castle
- Max Dionisio
- Max Evans
- Colin Furness
- Greta Golick
- Sheril Hook
- Adriana Ieraci
- Daphne Kyriaki-Manessi
- Helena Liao
- Loryl MacDonald
- Susan Maltby
- Christine Marton
- Mike McCaffrey
- John McDonald
- Hooley McLaughlin
- Wendy McPhee
- Hannah Mestel
- Wendy Newman
- Daniel Payne
- Michael Ridley
- Dominique Scheffel-Dunand
- Barbara Soren
- Brock Silversides
- Stephen Szigeti
- Vicky Whitmell
- PhD Student Directory
- Featured Students
- Faculty Directory
- News & Events
- Events Calendar
- Media Centre
- Current Students Portal
- Web Admin Login