Master of Museum Studies
The Master of Museum Studies (MMSt) is the only English-speaking master's program of its kind in Canada. It is both academic and professional from the integration of museological theory with experience.
MMSt aims to provide you with:
- Comprehensive knowledge of the functions of museums in their broader social and cultural contexts.
- A forward-focus and an understanding of where museums are headed in the future.
- A strong theoretical background and professional understanding of museum origins, ideologies, changing philosophies and current practices.
- Methodologies for research.
- The MMSt program is offered on a full-time basis only.
Core courses examine museological scholarship and its practical application in different environments and facets, including:
- digital heritage
- global cultures and museums
- museum education and programming
- museum management
- Individual projects and internships offer opportunities for you to develop practical skills and pursue special interests, in preparation for an exciting career as a museum professional.
- A 12-week placement in a museum, gallery or related institution taken between the first and second year of enrolment.
- Students apply knowledge gained in first-year course work to museum situations.
- Each placement is designed to meet individual student’s career goals and interests.
- Gain experience in developing and executing a research project from beginning to end. This option is designed for students who have a clearly defined topic, can find a supervisor and can meet tight deadlines.
- View the list of required and elective courses.
Explore a novel interdisciplinary area or a special development in a particular discipline.
Concurrent Registration Option (CRO)
Master of Information/Master of Museum Studies (MI/MMSt)
Full-Time, Part-Time, Non-Degree Studies
- OUR iSCHOOL
- STUDIES & CAREERS
- Our iSchool Advantage
- Careers in Information & Museum Studies
- Full-Time, Part-Time, Non-Degree Studies
- Bachelor of Arts
- Master of Museum Studies
- Master of Information
- PhD in Information Studies
- Graduate Diploma
- Continuing Education
- Internships & Practicums
- Information Services / Inforum
Master of Museum Studies
"I have always had a passion for the 3 C's of Museum work: Conservation, Curation and Collections. The MMSt program has given me an opportunity to explore these fields...and confirmed where my heart lies."
"The Master of Museum Studies program enabled me to stay tuned with the most current museological theories & practices, offering me multiple perspectives in a highly interdisciplinary environment."
- Valentine Moreno, Curator of Multidisciplinary Programs, Koffler Centre of the Arts