To borrow items from the Inforum's collections, come to the Information Desk on the 4th floor. We also offer a wide range of equipment, such as laptops, tablets, and recording equipment, for the use of the iSchool community.
Information on this page:
- Library cards
- Loan periods
- Renewals & returns
- Holds & recalls
- Rush cataloguing service
- Borrrowing from other U of T campuses
- Borrowing from libraries outside U of T
- Inforum special loans
Print-friendly circulation information sheet available.
- University of Toronto TCard
Inforum borrowing card:
- Free and available to iSchool alumni and members of the public
- Includes borrowing privileges from the Inforum only
- Obtainable with valid identification (e.g. your drivers’ license) and something with your current address
Peruse an online listing of new titles added to our collections each month.
- Course Reserve items are available for either 2 hours or 2 days. Request at the Information Desk.
Loan periods for other circulating items are based on the type of borrower:
- iSchool faculty, staff, and PhD students: 90 days
- iSchool Master's students: 2 weeks
- All other borrowers: 2 weeks
We welcome your recommendations for new titles to add to our collections.
Fines are charged for overdue items. We accept fine payments in full or in part, by cash or cheque.
- All Course Reserve items: $0.50 per hour
- Items from other Inforum collections: $0.50 per day
- Lost book fee: $145.00 per book
- Blocked library cards: users are blocked from borrowing at all University of Toronto libraries when their fines total $25.00 or more
To avoid fines, sign up to receive email notices about items that are about to be due.
Items can be renewed:
- Online, or
- In person at the Information Desk, or
- By phone at 416-978-7060 during opening hours
- New due dates are calculated from the date of renewal
To return items:
- All Course Reserve items and equipment must be returned to the Inforum Information Desk
- Return other Inforum items to Inforum book drops
Inforum book drop locations:
- Inforum Information Desk
- 1st and 4th floor lobby areas
Return materials from other libraries to the library of origin
Holds on Inforum items that are currently signed out to other borrowers can be placed by using the 'Request Item' featured in the library catalogue
- You will be notified when your hold item becomes available
- The material will be held for you for 5 days on the holds shelf at the Inforum Information Desk
- Recalls can be made on items checked out for more than 2 weeks. Exception: Items needed for Course Reserves can be recalled at any time
You will be notified by phone or email if a recall has been placed on an item currently signed out to you
Items marked 'In Cataloguing' in the library catalogue may be requested. This service is available to members of the iSchool community and University of Toronto librarians only.
- Items requested will be rush-catalogued
- Fill out a request form online, or at the Inforum Information Desk
- Allow a minimum of 2 business days for requests to be processed
You will be notified when the item is ready for pick-up
- iSchool students, staff, and faculty can request items from libraries at the University of Toronto's Scarborough Campus (UTSC), and Mississauga Campus (UTM)
- This service is known as Intercampus Delivery (ICD)
- Use the 'Request Item' feature in the library catalogue
No registration is required
- iSchool students, staff, and faculty can request items not held at any University of Toronto library
- Requests are made through RACER, the University's online interlibrary loan (ILL) self-serve system
- New RACER users: register for an account first
- Current RACER users: go to the login page
- Consult the UTL for ILL borrowing charges
Since interlibrary loans may take 3-6 weeks, users may consult Information Services staff for assistance in finding item(s) in other Toronto libraries
- Extended loans may be arranged upon request, subject to staff discretion
- Loans of non-circulating material may also be arranged with staff, e.g. materials needed for class presentations.
For any borrowing/circulation-related inquiries, contact anna [dot] ohutoronto [dot] ca (Anna Oh), Circulation & Public Services Technician, or nadia [dot] moroutoronto [dot] ca (Nadia Moro), Collections Technician.